104 ( +1 | -1 )
My last post seems to have failed to submit, so here is my second try. In contrast too all the spam ^^ ( you know, Bobby Fischer flames, Males vs Females, and Punctuation flames), here is a more pleasant Chess related topic to drool your faces onto...Chess openings! What are you favorites, most used, most hated?!?!? To reply...
As white (you)
1) Your favorite opening
2) Your most common opening
3) Most disliked opponent (Black) counter
As black (you)
1) Your favorite counter
2) Your most common counter
3) Your most dislike opponent (white) opening
This is me;
1) Ruy Lopez
2) Ruy Lopez
3) Weird anything...
1) Morphy defence
2) Morphy defence, Sometimes Sicilian Dragon..I try
3) Queen pawn or Spike (horse pawn thing )
I also have a question... what is the counter for pawn formation ... white doing.... e4, c4
Anyways have fun!!! Any strategies on openings or counters or related subjects are welcome...dont blame my punctuation pls!
9 ( +1 | -1 )
26 ( +1 | -1 )
1) Evans Gambit (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. b4)
2) Ruy Lopez: Exchange Variation (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Bxc6 dxc6)
3) Sicilian Opening (1. e4 c5)
1) Indian Opening: Benko Gambit (1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 b5)
2) French Defense (1. e4 e6)
3) Larsen's Opening (1. b3)
With e4, c4, try this:
1. e4 e5 2. c4 Nf6 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. d3 Bc5 5. Be2 0-0 6. 0-0. That setup looks at least equal.
46 ( +1 | -1 )
1)Choice Between: Kings Gambit, Evans Gambit, Petrov Defence Cochrane Gambit, Halloween Gambit
2)Choice Between: Kings Gambit, Italian Game
3)Choice Between: French Defence, Falkbeer Counter Gambit
1)Choice Between: Petrov Defence, Italian Game, Budapest Gambit
2)Choice Between: Petrov Defence, Italian Game
3)Choice Between: Bishops Opening, Ruy Lopez
95 ( +1 | -1 )
1) 1.e4 and I like playing the Keres' attack against the sicilian scheveningen, also I like playing against the pirc defense with a modern attacking line.
2) 1.Ruy Lopez, Sicilian defense because I play 1.e4 exclusively.
3) 1.Alekhine's defense...I haven't studied this opening enough and I usually end up being outplayed by my opponent who understands it well.
1) 1.Nimzo-indian defense, I almost always end up with good positions after playing this opening.
2) 1.I recently started defending the black side of the Ruy Lopez, so I am playing it alot in my live games.
3) 1.I hate defending against 1.Nf3, the Reti style opening, it seems that black has to choose between a super-solid but drawish defense, or try to imbalance the game with a risky opening which usually hands white the advantage. Lately I am playing into a queen's indian type of defense against this opening.
84 ( +1 | -1 )
1) 1.c4 usually followed by g3-Bg2 etc
2) Look above :-)
3) There are some lines that I find more difficult to play against but I dont really dislike them.
2) Since 1.e4 is most popular opening move, look above
3) Hmm...most challenging are strongest lines of Caro-Kann main line and Panov, plus some Slav lines, but then again challenge is one of the reasons I actually like playing vs them :-)
I guess the best answer to question 3 is I sometimes dislike the fact that almost everyone seems to play the same lines. For example after 10 opponents in a row going for the same KID setup vs 1.c4 you start hoping that the next guy chooses some other move. But then again KID setup is one of my favourites to play against so I defitenitely cant say I dislike it.
15 ( +1 | -1 )
1) Queen's gambit
2) Queen's gambit
3) Albin's counter gambit
3) Queen's gambit
19 ( +1 | -1 )
1) My own creation (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.c3)
*This is not Alapine Sicilian if I don't play e5 on Nf6*
2) Ruy Lopez: Exchange
3) Ruy Lopez: Jaenisch (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 f5)
1) From Gambit (1.f4 e5)
2) Benko Gambit (I think)
3) KIA with 1.d3
2 ( +1 | -1 )
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.c3
"Idiot's Sicilian". :)
8 ( +1 | -1 )
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.c3
Is not your own creation! 3...Nf6 4.Bd3 (Kopec System) or Be2 (Basman System) are the main lines.
74 ( +1 | -1 )
1. Nimzowitsch Attack
2. Lately I've been playing a lot of Halloween
3. Don't really have a black defense I dislike playing
1. Owen's/English Defenses
2. Lately against 1.e4 I've been playing a lot of
Latvian Gambits and trying the Budapest against
3. Don't really have a white opening I dislike playing
The pawn formation c4, d3, e4 for white (and c4,
d6, e5 for black) is Nimzowitsch's Dresden Blockade
formation. On the black side it gave rise to the
Boleslavsky Sicilian. Nimzo always entered this
formation from the English Opening as white.
Benjamin and Schiller in "Unorthodox Openings",
treating it as a King pawn opening, give the following
line: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c4 Bc5 4.Nc3 d6 5.Na4
Bg4 6.Nxc5 dc 7.Be2 Nf6 8.d3 Qd6 which they say
18 ( +1 | -1 )
1. English Opening
2. Scotch Game
3.Sicilian Defense I hate it so much... can't stand it.
3.Queen Pawn Opening